When a player is a designated penalty or set piece taker, it makes them a much bigger prospect in FPL. The chances of a piece of magic from a free kick, or a late penalty, can turn an uneventful blank into a double-digit haul.
Here’s a list of the penalty and set piece takers, including both corners and free kicks, for all teams in the 2021/22 Premier League season.
All updates will stem from who is regularly taking set pieces and penalties for each team as time goes on. If the penalty taker changes or someone is no longer their teams’ primary set piece taker, it’ll be reflected in this list – helpful for when you’re building your FPL team throughout the season.
First choice penalty takers have been highlighted, with them being the most nailed-on choices for penalties. Free kick and corner takers are listed in terms of priority – in order of overall volume of set pieces taken so far this season, except in certain cases. Some penalty takers have been italicised, with them being the first choice taker, but they generally don’t play very often.
This also lists the aerial threats of each team – players likely to be on the end of free kicks and corners. This is based on the number of shots taken from set pieces over the course of the season, also taking last season into account.
|Team||Penalties||Direct Free Kicks||Corners||Aerial Threats|
|Arsenal||Lacazette, Saka||Ødegaard, Pépé, Saka||Martinelli, Pépé, Ødegaard, Saka||Gabriel, Lacazette|
|Aston Villa||Ings, Watkins||Coutinho, Digne, Douglas Luiz||Coutinho, Digne, Douglas Luiz||Mings, Konsa, Hause|
|Brentford||Toney, Mbeumo||Eriksen, Mbeumo, Canós||Eriksen, Canós, Mbeumo||Toney, Pinnock, Ajer|
|Brighton||Groß, Maupay, Mac Allister, Trossard||Groß, Trossard||Groß, March, Trossard||Duffy, Dunk, Webster|
|Burnley||Barnes||McNeil, Gudmundsson||Westwood, McNeil||Mee, Tarkowski|
|Chelsea||Jorginho, Mount||Alonso, Mount||Chilwell, Alonso, Mount||Lukaku, Rüdiger, Silva|
|Crystal Palace||Zaha, Edouard, Milivojevic||Milivojevic, Gallagher||Gallagher, Hughes, Milivojevic||Benteke, Guéhi|
|Everton||Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin||Gordon, Townsend||Gordon, Townsend, Gray||Calvert-Lewin, Mina, Keane|
|Leeds United||Bamford, Raphinha||Raphinha, Phillips||Raphinha, Phillips, Dallas||Bamford, Cooper, Llorente|
|Leicester City||Vardy, Tielemans||Maddison, Tielemans||Tielemans, Albrighton, Maddison||Vestergaard, Evans|
|Liverpool||Salah, Fabinho, Milner||Alexander-Arnold, Salah||Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Tsimikas||Van Dijk, Matip|
|Manchester City||Mahrez, Sterling, Gündogan, De Bruyne||Gündogan, Mahrez, De Bruyne||Gündogan, De Bruyne, Foden||Stones, Dias, Laporte|
|Manchester United||Ronaldo/Fernandes||Fernandes, Ronaldo, Telles||Shaw, Fernandes||Maguire, Cavani, Ronaldo|
|Newcastle United||Wood/Wilson, Ritchie||Trippier, Ritchie||Trippier, Ritchie||Lascelles, Wilson, Burn|
|Norwich City||Pukki||Normann, Rashica||Rashica, Normann||Hanley, Gibson|
|Southampton||Ward-Prowse||Ward-Prowse||Ward-Prowse, Redmond||Salisu, Adams|
|Tottenham Hotspur||Kane||Kane, Son||Son, Reguilon||Kane, Sanchez|
|Watford||Sarr, King||Cucho, Dennis||Cleverley, Dennis, Cucho||Sierralta, Kucka|
|West Ham United||Noble, Lanzini, Antonio, Rice||Cresswell, Benrahma||Cresswell, Bowen, Fornals||Souček, Dawson, Antonio, Zouma|
|Wolverhampton Wanderers||Jimenez, Neves||Moutinho, Neves||Moutinho, Neves||Boly, Saiss|
Penalty and Set Piece Takers: Season Updates
- GW34: Saka scored a penalty, though Lacazette wasn’t on the pitch.
- GW34: Fernandes took a penalty ahead of Ronaldo.
- GW24: Following the end of the transfer window: Wood left Burnley for Newcastle, with it being unclear as to who Burnley’s penalty taker is now – it is likely to be Weghorst. Aubameyang also left Arsenal, with Lacazette being the primary penalty taker for Arsenal. El Ghazi left Aston Villa on loan, so Ings is the first-choice taker – he doesn’t seem to feature in their starting XI since Coutinho arrived.
- GW23: Fabinho scored a penalty for Liverpool, with neither Salah or Milner on the pitch.
- GW21: Lanzini took a penalty for West Ham with Antonio and Rice on the pitch. Noble wasn’t playing – he scored a penalty in GW20 while Antonio and Lanzini were on the pitch.
- GW20: Edouard scored a penalty for Palace – Milivojevic and Zaha weren’t playing at the time.
- GW18: Raphinha scored a penalty while Klich was on the pitch. He had scored a few previously without either Bamford or Klich playing – he now seems to be second-choice behind Bamford.
- GW16: Ronaldo scored a penalty with Fernandes on the pitch.
- GW10: Trossard scored a penalty for Brighton – , Maupay and Mac Allister weren’t on the pitch.
- GW9: Mac Allister scored a penalty for Brighton – Trossard was on the pitch, but Maupay and
- GW5: Fernandes took a penalty while Ronaldo was on the pitch. He missed, but said in an interview for a subsequent Champions League game that he was still on penalties.
- GW4: Zaha took and scored a penalty while Milivojevic was on the pitch. This happened again in GW6.
- GW3: Calvert-Lewin scored another penalty, though Richarlison tried to claim it. Benitez confirmed that Calvert-Lewin is absolutely first choice.
- GW2: Dele Alli scored a penalty for Spurs when Kane wasn’t on the pitch.
- GW2: Calvert-Lewin scored a penalty for Everton with Richarlison on the pitch.
- GW1: Antonio took a penalty for West Ham – Noble wasn’t on the pitch, though Rice was. He missed the penalty.
- GW1: Ings scored a penalty for Aston Villa, though El Ghazi wasn’t on the pitch.
Latest Update: 24/04/22
Brighton: 4 players have taken penalties for Brighton this season – there doesn’t seem to be a set choice.
Burnley: Wood and Barnes were both seen as first-choice penalty takers, but Barnes isn’t a regular starter and Wood has left for Newcastle.
Leeds: Bamford has been Leeds’ first-choice penalty taker following Klich missing a penalty last season. Since his injury issues, Raphinha has taken the role.
Manchester City: Mahrez is the first-choice penalty taker, though is prone to rotation. Sterling, De Bruyne and Gündogan are other possible takers.
West Ham: Noble has been West Ham’s primary penalty taker for years, but doesn’t start regularly. Lanzini, Rice and Antonio have taken penalties this season with him not on the pitch.