When a player is a designated penalty or set piece taker, it makes them a much bigger prospect in FPL. The chances of a piece of magic from a free kick, or a late penalty, can turn an uneventful blank into a double-digit haul.
Here’s a list of the set piece and penalty takers, including both corners and free kicks, for all teams in the 2021/22 Premier League season.
All updates will stem from who is regularly taking set pieces and penalties for each team as time goes on. If the penalty taker changes or someone is no longer their teams’ primary set piece taker, it’ll be reflected in this list – helpful for when you’re building your FPL team throughout the season.
First choice penalty takers have been highlighted, with them being the most nailed-on choices for penalties. Free kick and corner takers are listed in terms of priority – in order of overall volume of set pieces taken so far this season, except in certain cases. Some penalty takers have been italicised, with them being the first choice taker, but they generally don’t play very often.
We’ve also listed aerial threats – players likely to be on the end of free kicks and corners. This is based on the number of shots taken from set pieces over the course of the season, also taking last season into account.
|Team||Penalties||Direct Free Kicks||Corners||Aerial Threats|
|Arsenal||Aubameyang, Lacazette||Pépé, Ødegaard||Pépé, Ødegaard, Saka||Holding, Gabriel|
|Aston Villa||El Ghazi, Ings||Bailey, Douglas Luiz, Buendia||McGinn, Buendia, Douglas Luiz||Mings, Konsa, Hause|
|Brentford||Toney||Mbeumo, Jensen||Jensen, Canós, Mbeumo||Toney, Pinnock|
|Brighton||Groß, Maupay, Mac Allister, Trossard||Groß, Trossard||Groß, March, Trossard||Duffy, Dunk, Webster|
|Burnley||Barnes / Wood||McNeil, Gudmundsson||Westwood, McNeil||Wood, Mee, Tarkowski|
|Chelsea||Jorginho, Mount||Alonso, Mount||Chilwell, Alonso, Mount||Lukaku, Rüdiger|
|Crystal Palace||Zaha, Milivojevic||Milivojevic, Gallagher||Gallagher, Milivojevic||Benteke, Guéhi|
|Everton||Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison||Digne, Townsend||Digne, Townsend, Gray||Calvert-Lewin, Mina, Keane|
|Leeds United||Bamford, Klich||Raphinha, Phillips||Raphinha, Phillips, Dallas||Bamford, Cooper, Llorente|
|Leicester City||Vardy, Tielemans||Maddison, Tielemans||Tielemans, Albrighton, Maddison||Vestergaard, Evans|
|Liverpool||Salah, Milner||Alexander-Arnold, Salah||Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Tsimikas||Van Dijk, Matip|
|Manchester City||Mahrez, De Bruyne, Gundogan||Gündogan, Mahrez, De Bruyne||Gündogan, De Bruyne, Foden||Stones, Dias, Laporte|
|Manchester United||Fernandes, Ronaldo||Fernandes, Ronaldo||Shaw, Fernandes||Maguire, Pogba, Cavani|
|Newcastle United||Wilson, Ritchie||Ritchie||Ritchie||Lascelles, Wilson, Clark|
|Norwich City||Pukki||Normann, Rashica||Rashica, Normann||Hanley, Gibson|
|Southampton||Ward-Prowse||Ward-Prowse||Ward-Prowse, Redmond||Salisu, Adams|
|Tottenham Hotspur||Kane, Alli||Kane, Son||Son, Lo Celso||Kane, Sanchez|
|Watford||Sarr, Pedro||Cucho, Dennis||Cleverley, Dennis, Cucho||Sierralta, Kucka|
|West Ham United||Noble, Antonio, Rice||Cresswell, Benrahma||Cresswell, Bowen, Fornals||Souček, Dawson, Antonio, Zouma|
|Wolverhampton Wanderers||Jimenez, Neves||Moutinho, Neves||Moutinho, Neves||Boly, Saiss|
Penalty and Set Piece Takers: Season Updates
- GW10: Trossard scored a penalty for Brighton – , Maupay and Mac Allister weren’t on the pitch.
- GW9: Mac Allister scored a penalty for Brighton – Trossard was on the pitch, but Maupay and
- GW5: Fernandes took a penalty while Ronaldo was on the pitch. He missed, but said in an interview for a subsequent Champions League game that he was still on penalties.
- GW4: Zaha took and scored a penalty while Milivojevic was on the pitch. This happened again in GW6.
- GW3: Calvert-Lewin scored another penalty, though Richarlison tried to claim it. Benitez confirmed that Calvert-Lewin is absolutely first choice.
- GW2: Dele Alli scored a penalty for Spurs when Kane wasn’t on the pitch.
- GW2: Calvert-Lewin scored a penalty for Everton with Richarlison on the pitch.
- GW1: Antonio took a penalty for West Ham – Noble wasn’t on the pitch, though Rice was. He missed the penalty.
- GW1: Ings scored a penalty for Aston Villa, though El Ghazi wasn’t on the pitch.
Latest Update: 10/11/21
- Burnley: Barnes and Wood will take the penalties that they’ve have won themselves.
- Leeds: Bamford took over penalty duties from Klich in GW15 of the 20/21 season, commenting that they would swap if the other missed.
- Man City: Mahrez should be first choice as he most recently took a penalty while De Bruyne was on the pitch. This could change.
- Watford: Sarr and Pedro took two penalties for Watford last season – it isn’t clear as to who is first choice now that Deeney has left.
- West Ham: Noble is the primary penalty taker, but doesn’t play very often – Rice should be the primary taker more often than not.