When a player is a designated penalty or set piece taker, it makes them a much bigger prospect in FPL. The chances of a piece of magic from a free kick, or a late penalty, can turn an uneventful blank into a double-digit haul. It gives these players an even greater chance of returning a goal or an assist on any given gameweek. This is all massively amplified in the 20/21 season, with there being a larger number of penalties given as of late.
Here’s a list of the penalty and set piece takers – including both corners and free kicks – for all teams in the 2020/21 Premier League season.
All updates will stem from who is regularly taking set pieces and penalties for each team as time goes on. If the penalty taker changes or someone is no longer their teams’ primary set piece taker, it’ll be reflected in this list – helpful for when you’re building your FPL team throughout the season.
First choice penalty takers have been highlighted, with them being the most nailed-on choices for penalties. Free kick and corner takers are listed in terms of priority – in order of overall volume of set pieces taken so far this season, except in certain cases. Some penalty takers have been italicised, with them being the first choice taker, but they generally don’t play very often. For instance, if Milner and Salah are on the pitch at the same time, Milner is likely to take a penalty – though this doesn’t happen very often.
We’ve also listed aerial threats – players likely to be on the end of free kicks and corners. This is based on the number of shots taken from set pieces over the course of the season, also taking last season into account.
Last Updated: 13/04/21
|Team||Penalties||Free Kicks||Corners||Aerial Threats|
|Arsenal||Aubameyang, Lacazette||Xhaka, Willian, Saka, Cedric||Saka, Willian, Ødegaard||Luiz, Holding|
|Aston Villa||El Ghazi, Watkins||El Ghazi, Traoré, Grealish, Targett||Grealish, Traoré, Barkley||Konsa, Mings, Hause|
|Brighton||Groß, Welbeck||Groß, Dunk, Trossard||Groß, Trossard||Dunk, Webster, Burn|
|Burnley||Barnes / Wood||Brownhill, Brady, McNeil||Westwood, McNeil||Wood, Mee, Rodriguez|
|Chelsea||Jorginho, Mount||Mount, Alonso||Mount, Ziyech, James||Zouma, Abraham, Giroud|
|Crystal Palace||Milivojevic / Zaha||Milivojevic, Townsend, Eze||Eze, Townsend, Milivojevic||Cahill, Kouyaté, Benteke|
|Everton||Sigurdsson, Richarlison||Digne, Rodriguez, Sigurdsson||Rodriguez, Digne, Sigurdsson||Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Mina|
|Fulham||Mitrovic, Lookman, Cavaleiro||Lookman, Reed||Lookman, Cavaleiro||Mitrovic, Adarabioyo|
|Leeds United||Klich / Bamford||Raphinha, Phillips||Raphinha, Phillips||Bamford, Cooper|
|Leicester City||Vardy, Tielemans||Maddison, Tielemans||Maddison, Albrighton, Tielemans||Söyüncü, Fofana|
|Liverpool||Salah, Milner||Alexander-Arnold, Robertson||Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Salah||Firmino, Phillips|
|Manchester City||Mahrez, Agüero, De Bruyne, Gundogan||De Bruyne, Mahrez||De Bruyne, Foden, Mahrez||Stones, Dias, Laporte|
|Manchester United||Fernandes, Rashford||Fernandes, Rashford, Shaw||Telles, Shaw, Fernandes||Maguire, Pogba, Cavani|
|Newcastle United||Wilson, Ritchie||Shelvey, Fraser, Ritchie||Fraser, Shelvey, Ritchie||Lascelles, Wilson, Carroll|
|Sheffield United||Sharp, Norwood||Norwood, Fleck, Lundstram||Norwood, Fleck, Lundstram||McGoldrick, McBurnie, Egan|
|Southampton||Ings, Ward-Prowse||Ward-Prowse||Ward-Prowse, Bertrand||Vestergaard, Ings|
|Tottenham Hotspur||Kane||Kane, Dier, Bale||Son, Lamela||Alderweireld, Kane, Sanchez|
|West Bromwich Albion||Pereira||Pereira, Gallagher||Pereira, Phillips, Gallagher||Ajayi, Robson-Kanu, Bartley|
|West Ham United||Noble, Rice,||Cresswell, Bowen, Rice||Cresswell, Bowen, Lingard||Soucek, Dawson, Antonio|
|Wolverhampton Wanderers||Jimenez, Neves||Neves, Moutinho, Neto||Moutinho, Neto||Boly, Saiss, Dendoncker|
Notes as of GW26:
- Mahrez took a penalty for City in the Champions League when De Bruyne was on the pitch.
- Rice took a penalty for West Ham, seemingly making him West Ham’s penalty taker when Noble isn’t playing.
- Bamford is Leeds’ penalty taker, claiming that he’ll take them until he misses – Klich will replace him then. They’ll rotate when one misses, essentially.
- El Ghazi is Aston Villa’s penalty taker, initially given a penalty by Grealish.
- Groß has been named as Brighton’s primary penalty taker as of 10/12.
- Fulham don’t seem to have a dedicated penalty taker. Mitrovic, Lookman and Cavaleiro have taken then recently, the latter two missing their penalty attempts.
- Bale listed as a free kick taker for Spurs.
- Chilwell added as a primary set piece taker for Chelsea.
- Wilson scored a penalty for Newcastle in GW3, though Ritchie had been subbed off by that point. He has been added as a penalty taker, though it’s still unclear if Wilson is the outright number one.
- Richarlison took a penalty for Everton while Calvert-Lewin and Rodriguez were on the pitch, making him Everton’s penalty taker – Sigurdsson wasn’t on the pitch, so it remains to be seen if he’s still the primary taker.
- Ings took a penalty for Southampton while Ward-Prowse was on the pitch, with him seemingly being Southampton’s penalty taker as of GW2.
- Lundstram took a penalty for Sheffield United, though this was without Norwood on the pitch, and he missed.
- Burnley’s Barnes and Wood will rotate depending on who won the penalty.
- De Bruyne assumed responsibility of penalty taking at the end of the 19/20 season, though Aguero was out injured. As of now, he’s still the primary taker – Aguero may take them upon his return.
- Both Rashford and Fernandes are likely to rotate penalty-taking duties for Manchester United, though Fernandes would be the more likely of the two to take one.